Kodi 20, codenamed “Nexus,” is the future successor to the current stable version of Kodi, v19 Matrix. Kodi 20 has been in development for over a year, but most of the available versions have been “nightly” releases, which are unsuitable for most users.
In May this year, The Kodi Foundation hit a major milestone with the release of Kodi 20 “Nexus” Alpha 1, which could be used for testing. Recently, the foundation released yet another Alpha version of the upcoming Kodi Version 20 Nexus. This update follows Kodi “Nexus” Alpha 2, released in July, and it is more stable and offers more features.
However, it’s important to note that it is still a pre-release, so it still contains some bugs and stability issues.
✋ We do not recommend replacing your Kodi 19 version with Kodi 20 “Nexus” Alpha 3. Instead, you can install a portable version of Kodi 20 on Windows or uninstall the version and re-install Kodi 19 Matrix after tests.
So what’s new?
Kodi 20 Nexus Alpha 3 – New Features & Bug Fixes
Kodi Official Release notes
- Some crashes in addon installation and repository checks have been corrected (ksooo, howie-f)
- AlwinEsch has implemented a large feature to allow multiple instances of the same binary addon. This allows, for example, two instances of a PVR addon (e.g., PVR.HTS) to run using different backend provider instances. The usage of this will require updates from the various binary addons that will start to happen, so if you are interested in helping your favorite PVR addon to implement this, check out the above PVR.HTS PR, as well as the following PVR.Demo PR
- ksooo has been optimizing various things in our db wrappers for better performance
- Fix DVD Menu indicators for DRMPrime
- Fix NFS for Windows platforms after some recent NFS updates
- Several NFS improvements/cleanups
- Initial NFS4 implementation (link)
- Several improvements around our Font/Glyph Handling code from several team members (ksooo, thexai, sarbes) – improvements that should help low power machines in particular, but all platforms generally.
- Harbuzz glyph caching improvements (link)
- Fix some inconsistencies with RTL languages and certain skinning components (link)
- Improvements/cleanups regarding controllers (link)
- Fix crash if controller info files don’t have correct info (link)
- Rechi has done a bunch of leg work implementing improvements from Static analysis tools like CPPCheck and ClangTidy
- Remove obsolete addons from Core Kodi install
- Fix the wrong player playlist type for STRM file playback
- Fix using the mouse to drag/drop some controls
- Linux GBM – Ability to set HDR Output
- macOS – Allow the OSX arm64 (Apple Silicon) build to correctly find appropriate binary addons from repositories.
- Windows – Fix incorrect window positioning when transitioning the window to fullscreen and back
- ksooo continues updating/refining/fixing all things PVR related
- Estuary – Show titles when “Flatten Hierarchy” setting enabled (link)
- Further improvements/refinements to subtitles from CastagnaIT
- Fix for 3D MVC Playback (link)
How to Download KODI 20 Nexus Alpha 3
If you’d like to install Kodi 20 “Nexus” Alpha 3 and test it out, below are the links you can use.
- Download installer Kodi v20 Nexus Alpha3 installer for Windows 64 bit, recommended for any PC.
- Download installer Kodi v20 Nexus Alpha3 for Windows 32 bit, for very old PCs.
- Download apk Kodi v20 Nexus Alpha3 for Android 32 bit ARM V7A, compatible with all the TV-Box.
- Download apk Kodi v20 Nexus Alpha3 for Android 64 bit ARM V8A, only NVidia, Realtek and some Rockchip SoC’s.
- NOTE DOWNLOAD: there are browsers that block EXE and APK download, use right click “Save link as”, then, in the download tab below, click on the little arrow above next to “Discard” and select SAVE.
If you are using Firestick or any other Android-based streaming device, you can follow our procedure on how to install Kodi 19 Matrix. The difference will only be in selecting the Kodi version you’d like.
Note: During our Kodi 20 “Nexus” Alpha 3 tests, we noted that several Kodi 19 Addons do not work with this version yet. If this inconveniences you, we recommend re-installing Kodi 19 Matrix.
Though still in Alpha Versions, Kodi 20 Nexus is about to reach a stable stage, a milestone for Kodi Foundation. If you are a fan or developer, you can start using the test versions available on the Kodi site. However,
Test versions are not safe and can damage your device and, eventual third-party addons, may compromise your privacy. So, always use a reliable VPN like Surfshark to avoid such inconveniences.
Leave a Reply